Thursday, April 16, 2009

fiercely independent spirits - your future is lottery luck, death, or the dole

Ever wonder what it's like to live without health insurance?

Probably not, as most hold some sort of 'job' that allows them some sort of coverage. Or they have some kind of "condition", physical or mental, that gets them on the dole.

But what about the artists, the non-profits, dissidents, and the entrepreneurial innovators... people who would rather contribute than take - true philanthropists.

Oh why, cruel world, have the artists, the hard working yet fiercely independent spirits been forsaken?

For over two decades I've lived and survived (barely) as an 'underground' publisher, creator and communicator. Throughout my two decades, I have found very few alternatives to using the E.R. as a substitute for a regular doc. The funny thing about that is, my ilk usually waits until things are desperate enough, and the need for answers greater than we can stand, before heading to the old E.R..

Some might think this E.R. tactic lazy, some might think it a 'burden' on the state. Burden, maybe - lazy, not likely... how about, really fuckin scary. That fear is usually compounded if you have tattoos, piercings, or live a life outside of what is considered normal. So, as an uninsured, heathen, sorta non-profit, creative innovator and entrepreneurial philanthropist, my experiences at the E.R. have usually been depressing.

I was reminded of this when I recently made a trip to the Emergency Room. I was feeling some really bad symptoms, waiting it out wasn't making things any better, and a try at internet diagnosis just made things worse. To me, this WAS an emergency!

I received a cat scan and some sort of 'full work-up', I was then treated as a criminal for using the E.R.. Not a person liable for a bill that is 20 times the cost of a regular doctor, not a person in desperate need of answers. The doctor made it clear that his only responsibility was to make sure it wasn't an emergency and "as long as you don't drop in 2 days, I'm off the hook". In fact, he offered very few results of the tests.

Today, a friend of ours went to the E.R. with some of the same symptoms I had, only difference, they're insured. They were told about this 'crazy virus' and happily passed the information on to us - good thing we have a couple of friends with insurance, now we might be able to stop stressing and get some rest.

All in all, I guess you could say I've made bad personal choices as far as my own health... but I gotta wonder, do 'we' as a society want doctors who would turn someone, anyone out on the streets with a possible virus to spread among the chosen, the insured. For the hard working, fiercely independent spirits who survive without government assistance - your future is lottery luck, death, or the dole - there is no middle ground.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

awwww' pookie....
i care.
want ME to tell say what's wrong with you?
just ask...

April 30, 2009 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

awww' pookie, i care!
want me to say what's wrong with you?
i will, just ask.

April 30, 2009 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Shane Bugbee said...

sure, tell me what's wrong with me.

April 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) Fat guy treats body like fast-food dumpster for decades.
2) Fat guy's fat body begins falling apart.
3) Fat guy blames "The Man" for not giving him free healthcare.

Is that the plot?

May 10, 2009 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger Shane Bugbee said...

well, I guess that's my personal plot, but this is about more than that.

I guess you missed the point.

so, who do you slave for in order to be able to afford health care, let's say, if your well maintained body is hit repeatedly by a baseball bat?

May 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

+ don't forget about without dental insurance..

May 12, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

thanx and please - keep checking back for replies and feel free to keep the comments coming!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Wide release Jan 2013 - limited edition Nov 2012o
Name:

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]